Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Night of the Living Goya


I'm skipping ahead here a bit to get to my semester studying the undead. Zombies. Basically, I spent months watching George Romero films and classics like I Walked With A Zombie and White Zombie, read a few books on the subject, Book of the Dead, Passage of Darkness, The Undead and Philosophy, and Pretend We're Dead, and then I got to paint zombie versions of masterpiece paintings by Goya and Vermeer. I have to tell you, this was the most fun I had teaching myself anything. The first posting from this semester is Night of the Living Goya, an oil on wood panel measuring 18"x24". The original is nasty enough, so I really had to take the gore up as best as I could. The hardest part was probably matching the colors Goya used to make this cannibalism pretty. My professors asked me why I wanted to do this. Honestly, because it was fun. There are more intellectual reasons for researching zombies like the similarities between post tramatic stress disorder, Hatian zombification, and slavery, but I'll save that for later. For now, enjoy the undead.

No comments: